Saturday, October 01, 2005

Jazzin' At Bailey's

Today was very busy at work. Who would've thought the entire population of Qualicum Beach would visit Bailey's? For some reason it is supposed to be slowing down, but apparently we have a good reputation because the people keep coming in. I enjoy days that go by so quickly.

We all think that it might begin to slow down a little bit, but suddenly an african american man with the deadliest grey, more like white dread locks comes in with his guitar at hand, telling us that he has permission to play his music outside of the cafe'. We double check and yeah, he is supposed to be playing. Peculiar, but true. Then he decides that he wants to sing inside because he's afraid that it might rain and he only feels comfortable performing when he himself is comfortable. Yeah okay, whatever, come on in. This sure brought in the crowds. The most diverse crowds a person might see in the same room. There are grandmas clapping, hippies tapping their feet and conservative looking women, snapping their fingers. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the music. I for one, was enjoying it but was completely overwhelmed by the demand for my attention.... making latte's, taking orders, getting ice cream, delivering food and everything else that comes with this job.

By the time he had finished his set, the cafe' clears almost instantly. There are three of us still working, buzzing around trying to prepare ourselves for closing. The other two girlies leave me on my lonesome..and wow did I ever have dishes to do. SO MUCH. But in the end I got everything finished and I was only an extra fifteen minutes. It felt good to be in charge and actually get things done in time. I was givin' er though. Givin' er my all. To be quite honest Bailey's has been getting a lot of my "all" these days.

It's just so funny that I am apart of this crazy island life now. The fact that an old jazzy hippy came into the establishment and said...I'm playing some music is that okay... and we were like yeah, no problem..just seems so not like where I'm from. I like change in this case, because I think it's really interesting. Interesting that hippies and oldies sat in the same room swaying to the same music.. ??? It's very layed back here I guess. I like that at work today I had live entertainment while I mopped the floors and cleaned out orange specks out of the microwaves. At the time I was annoyed that he attracted soooo many people. But now it makes me think...and again, I've decided.. I like it here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story Haley! Sounds like you live in a pretty neat place. Maybe when I grow up I can come visit =)

Mama said...

I wanna be there! What a great day for you....that would be so cool!

BIGHUGS!~m

kristen said...

That sounds like a great night! Your descriptions were really evocative and I felt like I was there!

hollibobolli said...

That sounds like a fun day - and the way I always looked at stuff like that.. more work, but more tips!!! Plus, the time just flies!!!

Anonymous said...

Haley I'm sad your not here,miss u hun..LOTS.Very happy that you moved on & you are happy & found a place that keeps your mind going 24-7 & then some.Look at me for instance,moved over 2000 miles..what a change.We all need it at some time.
As I can recall you always gave things your best.Just you being you. Keep it up hun..Just don't give it too much that U get all tucckerd out.

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! frog humidifier by crane Shag leather spagetti area rugs chevrolet yenko camaro http://www.liquid-vitamin-3.info/do_vitamin_increase_fertility.html

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » » »